Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Book Review ~ Belles

Belles (Belles #1)
by Jen Calonita
published by Poppy
genre: YA, Contemporary

Summary (Goodreads):  Fifteen-year-old Isabelle Scott loves her life by the boardwalk on the supposed wrong side of the tracks in North Carolina. But when tragedy strikes, a social worker sends her to live with a long-lost uncle and his preppy privileged family. Isabelle is taken away from everything she's ever known, and, unfortunately, inserting her into the glamorous lifestyle of Emerald Cove doesn't go so well. Her cousin Mirabelle Monroe isn't thrilled to share her life with an outsider, and, in addition to dealing with all the rumors and backstabbing that lurk beneath their classmates' Southern charm, a secret is unfolding that will change both girls' lives forever.

My Thoughts: I'll start with saying that contemporary reads make up only 5-10 % of my reading for a year. That being said I was grabbed by this cover and then the blurb was interesting enough to make me check it out from the library.
The characters were what you would expect in this type of book just by reading what it's about. Isabelle fits into the rags to riches role, Savannah is your classic mean girl and Mira is the mean girl with guilt who isn't sure where she fits in.
The writing is what made this book for me. I started reading and looked up and I was already 200 pgs in. The fact that the author grabbed and kept me for that long was the most impressive thing for me. The writing was very smooth and made for an easy read. There was also enough in the story line to keep me going even when I thought I knew what was going to happen.
I will definitely  take the time to read the second book in this series to see what happens next (kind of hoping someone knocks Savannah down a bit).

Rating: 3.5

No comments:

Post a Comment