Monday, October 6, 2014

Book Review ~ The Crimson Crown

The Crimson Crown (Seven Realms #4)

by Cinda Williams Chima
published by Hyperion
genre: YA, Fantasy, 

Summary (Goodreads): A thousand years ago, two young lovers were betrayed-Alger Waterlow to his death, and Hanalea, Queen of the Fells, to a life without love.

Now, once again, the Queendom of the Fells seems likely to shatter apart. For young queen Raisa ana'Marianna, maintaining peace even within her own castle walls is nearly impossible; tension between wizards and Clan has reached a fevered pitch. With surrounding kingdoms seeking to prey on the Fells' inner turmoil, Raisa's best hope is to unite her people against a common enemy. But that enemy might be the person with whom she's falling in love.

Through a complicated web of lies and unholy alliances, former streetlord Han Alister has become a member of the Wizard Council of the Fells. Navigating the cut-throat world of blue blood politics has never been more dangerous, and Han seems to inspire hostility among Clan and wizards alike. His only ally is the queen, and despite the perils involved, Han finds it impossible to ignore his feelings for Raisa. Before long, Han finds himself in possession of a secret believed to be lost to history, a discovery powerful enough to unite the people of the Fells. But will the secret die with him before he can use it?

A simple, devastating truth concealed by a thousand-year-old lie at last comes to light in this stunning conclusion to the Seven Realms series.

My Thoughts: I wanted to like this book, I loved the rest of the series, but had to force myself  to even finish it. I originally started this in January 2013 finally finished October 2014. The only reason I picked it back up was to finish the series off.
I think my main problem was Raisa in this book. In previous books she was a strong, intelligent female that you wanted to cheer for. In this one she just felt whiny, indecisive, and too willing to believe everything that is told to her.
I did like getting the full story of "The Breaking" and what really happened to Hanalea and Alger. Parts were predictable but it still added to the current story and helped bring closure to some characters.
The Bayars were still the same manipulative wizards that we have come to know. I wasn't expecting any changes from the dad but it would have been nice if there had been some growth with the two younger ones.
Overall, if I hadn't willed myself to finish this series I'm not sure I would have picked this book up a second time. Han was the one character that seemed to stick to character no matter where others seemed to place him. It was also nice to see some of the younger warriors step up and be accepting of Raisa and Han, and work with wizards to try and to achieve a common goal. I still enjoy Cinda Williams Chima's writing but this book was just not for me.

Rating: 3.5

No comments:

Post a Comment