Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Review ~ Locke & Key Volume 1

Locke & Key Volume 1, Welcome to Lovecraft

by Joe Hill
illustrated by Gabriel Rodriguez
published by IDW Publishing
genre: graphic novel, Adult, Horror

Summary (Goodreads): Locke & Key tells of Keyhouse, an unlikely New England mansion, with fantastic doors that transform all who dare to walk through them. Home to a hate-filled and relentless creature that will not rest until it forces open the most terrible door of them all...

My Thoughts: This series of graphic novels have shown up on several lists of must reads. I also have wanted to check this author out and this was a good way to get a feel for his writing style without committing to a full novel.
That said, I really enjoyed this. It was dark right from the start and didn't let up. Plenty of blood and gore (used correctly) along with an interesting story that kept my attention throughout.
Gabriel Rodriguez was able to bring the feelings of both the story and characters out in his drawings. There was not a time when I felt that the graphics were out of place with the story being told.
Overall, this will be a series that I definitely plan on finishing. While there was a resolution to this GN, there are even more questions that I have to find out the answers to.

Rating: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment