Monday, December 3, 2012

Book Review ~ City of Lost Souls

City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments #5)
by Cassandra Clare
published by Margaret K McElderry
genre: YA, Fantasy, Paranormal

Summary (Goodreads): What price is too high to pay, even for love? When Jace and Clary meet again, Clary is horrified to discover that the demon Lilith’s magic has bound her beloved Jace together with her evil brother Sebastian, and that Jace has become a servant of evil. The Clave is out to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other. As Alec, Magnus, Simon, and Isabelle wheedle and bargain with Seelies, demons, and the merciless Iron Sisters to try to save Jace, Clary plays a dangerous game of her own. The price of losing is not just her own life, but Jace’s soul. She’s willing to do anything for Jace, but can she still trust him? Or is he truly lost?

Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge. Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.

My Thoughts: Very mixed feelings about this latest installment. I really miss the group feel of the first books. The last two books this has been the overriding feeling while reading. They haven't been bad books and I've enjoyed them but seem to feel I'm missing something while the book is going on.
I like Clary and I like Jace but there seemed to be a lot of stupid in this one. Maybe I'm over the romance aspect (since we know where and who is going) and just want it over with so we can move on with the story. It's starting to feel dragged out. I also felt bad for Alec, Clary gets to be stupid 90% of the time(getting a lot of people killed just so she could have what she wanted) and still get her guy and Alec has one bad conversation and his whole relationship is over.
While I understand why, I also am not sure how I feel about Clary getting to make the final act. Simon risked everything, lost all protection and when it came down to it Clary was all "mine" and no one thought it was a bad idea.
I know the above makes it sound like I didn't enjoy the book but I did. These were relative small things and the rest of the story made up for them. I will be reading the next book to see what ramifications come out of decisions made but will always miss what made me love this series in the first place.

Rating: 3.5-4 (still cannot decide)

1 comment:

  1. I have this one on my shelf though I probably won't get to it anytime soon. I hate that indecision when you can't decided on a rating! The romance is a big part of these books and that's actually what bothers me. Like you said, Alec's relationship ends in like a split second and other things just make me frustrated. Great review!

    Alise @ Readers In Wonderland

    ReplyDelete