Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Book Review ~ Changes

Changes (The Dresden Files #12)
by Jim Butcher
published by Roc
genre: Adult, Urban Fantasy, Mystery

Summary (Goodreads): Long ago, Susan Rodriguez was Harry Dresden's lover-until she was attacked by his enemies, leaving her torn between her own humanity and the bloodlust of the vampiric Red Court. Susan then disappeared to South America, where she could fight both her savage gift and those who cursed her with it.

Now Arianna Ortega, Duchess of the Red Court, has discovered a secret Susan has long kept, and she plans to use it-against Harry. To prevail this time, he may have no choice but to embrace the raging fury of his own untapped dark power. Because Harry's not fighting to save the world...

He's fighting to save his child.

My Thoughts: I'll start by saying, I waited to read this until book 13 was out. All the review from when this came out were talking about the cliffhanger ending and I did not want to have to wait. I'll be reading Side Jobs this month and then Ghost Story next month. A much better wait time.
This is one of my favorite series. When I started reading I looked at DH and said "I forgot how much I enjoy reading these books".  I don't think I can give it a bigger endorsement than that, but I'll try.
The action begins pretty much from the start. We find out that Dresden's daughter (which he did not know about) has been kidnapped, which brings Susan and her little minion back into the picture. I've always been a Murphy fan so I did not care for Susan much. I didn't hate her as a character she just was not my favorite.
Harry seems to get on board with this pretty quick (which was necessary) and starts looking for help. Arianna, deranged princess, of the Red Court is also in town under the guise of a truce with the White Council. She also has her fingers in other pies, including the IA of the police dept. which limits what help is coming from that corner.
Overall there were a lot of revelations and monumental decisions made throughout this book. It lived up to its title. From Harry's choice to get more power to Susan's ultimate choice to end the threat to her daughter, it cannot help but impact the series going forward.
The cliffhanger...I was so worried about it going in that by the time it happened my only thought was "Harry can get out of this". Of course it won't be that easy and it is another change to the norm but I'm very interested to see how Mr Butcher continues on.

Rating: 4  


No comments:

Post a Comment