Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Book Review ~ The Colossus Rises

The Colossus Rises (Seven Wonders #1)

by Peter Lerangis
published by HarperCollins
genre: YA/MG, Fantasy, Mythology

Summary (Goodreads): One Boy

Jack McKinley is an ordinary kid with an extraordinary problem. In a few months, he’s going to die.

One Mission
Jack needs to find seven magic loculi that, when combined, have the power to cure him.

One Problem
The loculi are the relics of a lost civilization and haven’t been seen in thousands of years.

Seven Wonders
Because they’re hidden in the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.

My Thoughts: This had a lot of potential, it just fell a little short on one thing for me. The characters were not developed enough for me to care about in the long run. The main character from this book, Jack, was a little better than the other three but everything seemed to be happening to them. It was hard to care if one was going to make it or if they disappeared, etc.
The actual story I found interesting. The powers that made the lost city of Atlantis great split up and hidden among the ancient Seven Wonders. The interactions between Jack and the loculi and what happened when he touched it was one of the better parts of the story.
Overall, there is enough in the main story (search for the seven loculi in the seven wonders) that will make me read at least the next book. If there is more character development along with moving the story along I can see myself looking forward to this series the way I do Rick RIordan's books.

Rating: 3.5

No comments:

Post a Comment