Monday, March 24, 2014

Review ~ Elfquest: The Searcher and The Sword

Elfquest: The Searcher and The Sword 

by Wendy Pini, Richard Pini
published by ElfQuest
genre: Fantasy, Graphic Novel

Summary (Goodreads): Led by Cutter, the elfin Wolfriders have experiences equal parts triumph and tragedy, loss and gain. Now, the elves must adapt to a world without the Troll smiths, who forged their weapons and tools. Still in shock and recovering from her parents violent deaths, Shuna, the adopted human daughter of Cutter and Leetah, must cope with a rugged new world full of strange rules and pitfalls. Painfully aware that shes simply a human girl whos surrounded by impossibly beautiful, magical beings, Shuna embarks on a quest hoping to unite elf and humankind in peace.

My Thoughts: Picked this graphic novel up on a whim while looking through the libraries shelves. I have not read any other Elfquest comics and am not really familiar with this world/characters.
I liked the illustrations throughout the story. For the most part it was easy to tell the difference between the characters which I've found is not always the case. I also liked that it was full color front to back.
This story focuses mainly on two characters and quests that they decide to take. I found myself more interested in the making of a sword than in Shuna's quest to unite the human and elf world. While her story dealt with a more serious issue, more seemed to happen underground in the troll caves.
Overall, there were highs and lows with this story. Part of this may have been because I wasn't familiar with the characters. I can see why there were so many positive reviews for this series and could see myself reading some of the originals.

Rating: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment