Thursday, May 22, 2014

Book Review ~ Circle of Desire

Circle of Desire (Damask Circle #3)

by Keri Arthur
published by Dell
genre: Adult, PNR, Urban Fantasy, 

**Received e-arc from netGalley/publisher in exchange for honest review

Summary (Goodreads): A TEMPTING FATE
 Two children have been found dead, their souls torn from their bodies. Two more are missing, and Ethan Morgan’s niece is one of them. A dedicated cop, Ethan has every intention not only of bringing her back alive but of catching the monster behind these kidnappings. And he will use anyone and everyone to achieve those aims—even a crazy woman who claims to be a witch. But time is ticking. The victims rarely stay alive for more than seven days. Four of those days have already passed.

In ten years of working for the Damask Circle, shapeshifter Katherine Tanner has never come across anything that goes after kids the way this monster does. The last thing Kat needs is interference from a cop who has no idea what he’s up against. But the greatest threat to Kat may come not from the forces of darkness, but from the man she is beginning to love. Because Ethan is a werewolf... and the full moon is rising.

My Thoughts: For some reason this felt more like a part of a series rather than a stand alone.  It may be because Kat works as team with her Grandmother so it was not just the HEA couple vs the bad guys.
Ethan is my new book pet peeve. He is a werewolf but is completely surprised that there are vampires, psychics, demons, etc that exist in the world. I just don't get this character trait and find I want to bang my head on something when they just deny, deny, deny. Even after he had seen Kat's grandmother do a seeing to try and find out more about the missing children he didn't believe. When Kat shifted into her other form right in front of him you could tell he still wanted to deny it.
I liked Kat, thought she was probably the strongest female lead from this series. At least on most things. She was very sure of herself when it came to going after bad guys and being Ethan's partner for rising moon. The only thing I didn't like about her was the I'm going to change him attitude, she knew best and it didn't matter Ethan's reasons, things were going to end up how she wanted. There was another part to this that really took it to another level and even though it wasn't done on purpose I didn't like that part of the story/relationship.
Overall, I've enjoyed reading Keri Arthur's books and while not my favorites of hers, I don't feel like I wasted my time. As of now this is the last book in this re-released series. I would not mind more of them if they had more of a series feel with carry over characters in each book.

Rating: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment