Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Book Review ~ 13 to Life

13 to Life (13 to Life #1)
By Shannon Delany
Published By St. Martin's Griffin

Summary (Goodreads): Everything about Jessie Gillmansen’s life changed when her mother died. Now even her hometown of Junction is changing.  Mysterious dark things are happening. All Jessie wants is to avoid more change. But showing a hot new guy around Junction High, she’s about to discover a whole new type of change. Pietr Rusakova is more than good looks and a fascinating accent—he’s a guy with a dangerous secret. And his very existence is sure to bring big trouble to Jessie’s small town.  It seems change is the one thing Jessie can’t avoid…


Dislikes: When I finished this book I felt like it was a middle book or the middle of a book. There was a lot of back story missing and a lot of questions unanswered. This book also borders on my pet peeve with YA and that is how loosely the term best friends seems to be used. Even when it was pointed out to her that Sarah was going back to her "old ways" (which we don't really know about) Jessie still seemed to blow it off and just say "but she needs me". 


Likes: I thought most of the characters were well done. I was 50/50 with Jessie, she seemed like she was trying to get her life back in order after everything that had happened but then she kept doing stupid things, that she knew were stupid while she was doing them. I liked Pietr and the whole Rusakova family, I found them to be the most interesting whenever they were around they seemed to steal the spotlight.


Overall: Even though there was a lot I didn't like or had issue with, I still enjoyed the book overall and I'm curious to read Secrets and Shadows to see what happens next. I do wish the title would have been more straightforward in the story. It seemed to be mentioned only in passing, during a time when there were other more pressing issues taking place, and could be very easy to miss.


Rating: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment