Monday, May 16, 2011

Book Review ~ Demonglass

Demonglass (Hex Hall #2)
By Rachel Hawkins
Published By Hyperion Books

Summary (Goodreads): Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch. 
That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth. 
Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers. 
But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?

My Thoughts: I'll start with the ending: I really, really dislike cliffhangers. Especially when it doesn't feel like anything was answered in the book. I enjoyed the book until this point in the story. It was like we started to get answers and then the book was finished and we were still in the middle of a scene. 
I still enjoyed Sophie's snarky attitude and the addition of some romantic tension with someone other than Archer. I did still like the interactions with Sophie and Archer throughout and look forward to see what happens next. I found the side characters as interesting, if not more, than Sophie in this book. I kinda felt bad for the new kids(demons), even at the end of the book.  It felt as if Jenna grew a lot in this book and came into her own.
I think another part of the letdown for me was the discovery of who was creating all the problems wasn't that big of a surprise  so it didn't have that wow factor for me.  I'm more interested in what is going to happen with Sophie and her friends and what/how The Eye is going to help or hurt them.

Rating: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment