Monday, May 9, 2011

Book Review ~ Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy #1)
By Kiersten White
Published By HarperTeen

Summary (Goodreads):
Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours.
But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.
So much for normal.

My Thoughts: I think my expectations were too high going into this book. I was a few too many "this is the best book ever" type reviews. I didn't dislike this book, I just didn't love it as much as everyone else seemed to. Between the insta-love and the ignorant to their surroundings lead character, it brought the book down for me.
I understood Evie's wanting to be normal but it seemed to override everything. I had a difficult time getting behind her as the lead, how could someone have been doing this since they were young but not know, or want to know, anything about the paranormals she was chasing down. You would expect more cirousity about what is going on around you but she didn't seem to care about that either.
I did like Lend, he seemed more what I would expect from someone who is living in the world the author created. He was aware, interested, and even though it got him into trouble, willing to try and find the answers to the problems in his world.
I did enjoy the overall story and was very interested in what Evie and Vivian were and what it all meant to the fairies. There were still many unanswered questions concerning this so I'll be reading the second book to find out more. Hopefully Evie is one of those characters that grow on me over time and I'll like her more in coming books.

Rating: 3

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you didn't like this as much as you thought you would. I think you should still give Supernaturally a try though, it was better than Paranormalcy :) Evie and Vivian are great in the next book and the truth concerning the fairies is revealed entirley.

    www.blackfingernailedreviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I'm glad to read your review! I made a post a while back saying I was weary of some books bc the population at large would say it's incredible and I'd walk away feeling a little "M'eh" about it. I've been on the fence about reading this book for that reason!

    Anyway, great review :)

    xo,
    Lah

    ReplyDelete