Thursday, October 4, 2012

Book Review ~ Lover Reborn

Lover Reborn (Black Dagger Brotherhood #10)
by J.R. Ward
published by
genre: Adult, Fantasy, PNR

Summary (full @Goodreads): Ever since the death of his shellan, Tohrment has been unrecognizable from the vampire leader he once was. Physically emaciated and heartbroken beyond despair, he has been brought back to the Brotherhood by a self-serving fallen angel. Now, fighting once again with ruthless vengeance, he is unprepared to face a new kind of tragedy.

When Tohr begins to see his beloved in his dreams—trapped in a cold, isolated netherworld far from the peace and tranquillity of the Fade—he turns to the angel in hopes of saving the one he has lost. But because Lassiter tells him he must learn to love another to free his former mate, Tohr knows they are all doomed....

*I'll start by saying, I did not finish Lover Unleashed. While I like both V and Jane individually, when they are together as a couple they become too stupid for me to handle. I got through about 150 pages and the book seemed to be more them than Payne and Manny so I gave up.

My Thoughts: Based on the above, I didn't think I would go forward with this series. While I really like Tohr, I just thought I would be lost with not having read the previous book. This book seemed to pick up right after Lover Mine with nothing in between. Other than Manny being at the house, I never felt like I was missing anything.
I really felt for Tohr throughout this book. The guy just couldn't seem to get a break. All he wanted to do was be faithful to his (dead) shellan but in doing that he was slowly giving her something that was worth than the death she already had.
I still, after finishing the book, am not sure about No'One/Autumn. I like her but never felt any connection to her. That's not to say I did not like them together, I'm just indifferent to it. I was glad when Tohr gave her a new real name since she did not want to be called by the previous name he knew her by.
The last scenes were some of my favorites. From Tohr finally clicking and figuring out that act of sex was not him moving on, to the Fade ceremony and consequent reactions. Autumn's issue didn't really click for me until I read it, then it made perfect sense.
Lassiter is one of my favorite side characters and we got plenty of him and it just made me want more. I was glad when he showed up with dinner at the end.
The background stories were just that for me. While I don't like any at the moment, I found the BoB interesting. I actually like Xcor more than Throe but want to get to know all of them better. The complications of anything between Xcor and Layla adds another dimension to the battle between this group and the brotherhood.
John and Xhex. The drama between them just wasn't needed for me. I understood the parallels that were being drawn but didn't need them to add to the drama of Tohr's stroy. I was glad when it came to some kind of ending but feel like it may keep coming up.
Quinn and Blay. This is the real reason I read this book. I want to read the next one and felt I would be too lost missing the two books before it.

Rating: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment