Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Book Review ~ Styxx

Styxx (Dark-Hunter #23)
by Sherrilyn Kenyon
published by St Martin's Press
genre: Adult, Paranormal, PNR,

Summary (Goodreads): Centuries ago Acheron saved the human race by imprisoning an ancient evil bent on absolute destruction. Now that evil has been unleashed and it is out for revenge.

As the twin to Acheron, Styxx hasn’t always been on his brother’s side. They’ve spent more centuries going at each other’s throats than protecting their backs. Now Styxx has a chance to prove his loyalty to his brother, but only if he’s willing to trade his life and future for Acheron’s.

The Atlantean goddess of Wrath and Misery, Bethany was born to right wrongs. But it was never a task she relished. Until now. She owes Acheron a debt that she vows to repay, no matter what it takes. He will join their fellow gods in hell and nothing is going to stop her.

But things are never what they seem, and Acheron is no longer the last of his line. Styxx and Acheron must put aside their past and learn to trust each other or more will suffer.

Yet it’s hard to risk your own life for someone who once tried to take yours, even when it's your own twin, and when loyalties are skewed and no one can be trusted, not even yourself, how do you find a way back from the darkness that wants to consume the entire world? One that wants to start by devouring your very soul?

My Thoughts: I'm not going to cover everything that happens in this review. This is a huge book with a lot going on and even more characters. I also don't want to spoil any of the surprises.
Ms Kenyon has said that you do not need to read Acheron in order to read this book. I can see where that is possible but don't understand why you would want to. Styxx's story is tragic in so many ways but knowing Ash's side of the story just makes it that much more so.
Nick is my favorite but Ash has always been right there at the top. I cannot tell you how many times I wanted someone to knock him upside the head. I understood why he acted how he did in their human lives. They both went through unspeakable things but the fact that he wouldn't listen or look at his brother's side when they were older (much older) just irritated me. I loved when Urian threw it all back in his face and made him see things he didn't want to.
This also changed the way I looked at Ryssa. I was like Styxx and just wanted someone to shut her up. I also felt bad about feeling this way knowing what happens. At least with Acheron it was kind of understandable but she had no excuse other than she was a spoiled princess.
I've had problems with some of the pairings in this series but the romance also worked for me in this book. I liked Beth/Bet'Anya.  The fact that she was/is order to her father's chaos really helped when it came to soothing Styxx's turmoil and giving him moments of peace. I also liked how she wasn't afraid to stand up to Apollo or any of the others when it came to Styxx.
Overall, I was happy with this story. I had no idea that I needed this book in this series considering how many other character's stories I'm waiting for. It was a great read and felt like it happened at the right time. With everything that is going on having one more person (using that loosely) on the good guys side cannot be a bad thing.

Rating: 4.5-5 I couldn't/can't decide
 

No comments:

Post a Comment