Wednesday, July 24, 2013

(non) Book Review ~ The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1)

by Suzanne Collins
published by Scholastic
genre: YA, Dystopian,

Summary (Goodreads): Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with everyone out to make sure you don't live to see the morning?

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister’s place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender.

If she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

My Thoughts: This is really not a review. This is one of those books that you have either read, are going to read or have no interest in. At this point you've made your mind up in one direction or the other. This is more for me to finally feel like I accomplished something. I've been saying I was going to read this book for the past two years and finally I've done it.
Whenever there is a book that receives as much hype, love and praise as this one, it always makes me wary. I usually end up disappointed when I read these books. I'm happy to say that wasn't the case here. I enjoyed reading this story. I found the characters interesting for the most part and the world/story were enough to keep me locked into the book until the end.
I guess the best thing I can say is that this was worth the two days it took me to read it and I don't regret taking the time. Now to work myself up to reading the second book.

Rating:4

1 comment:

  1. Yay for giving this a try! It feels so nice to get those incredibly hyped and beloved books off your to-read list. Hope you love Catching Fire too!

    ReplyDelete