Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Book Review ~ Antigoddess

Antigoddess (Goddess Wars #1)
by Kendare Blake
published by Tor Teen
genre: YA, Mythology,

Summary (Goodreads):
Old Gods never die…

Or so Athena thought. But then the feathers started sprouting beneath her skin, invading her lungs like a strange cancer, and Hermes showed up with a fever eating away his flesh. So much for living a quiet eternity in perpetual health.

Desperately seeking the cause of their slow, miserable deaths, Athena and Hermes travel the world, gathering allies and discovering enemies both new and old. Their search leads them to Cassandra—an ordinary girl who was once an extraordinary prophetess, protected and loved by a god.

These days, Cassandra doesn’t involve herself in the business of gods—in fact, she doesn’t even know they exist. But she could be the key in a war that is only just beginning.

Because Hera, the queen of the gods, has aligned herself with other of the ancient Olympians, who are killing off rivals in an attempt to prolong their own lives. But these anti-gods have become corrupted in their desperation to survive, horrific caricatures of their former glory. Athena will need every advantage she can get, because immortals don’t just flicker out.

Every one of them dies in their own way. Some choke on feathers. Others become monsters. All of them rage against their last breath.

The Goddess War is about to begin.

My Thoughts: This ended up being a really good read after how long it took me to get into it. I enjoyed the sections that focused on the gods right from the start. A really rough Athena and Hermes trying to search for Demeter in the desert should not have been as interesting as it was. I was drawn into their story and the different ways they were dying.
What slowed it down for me were the parts with Cassandra and company at school, parties, etc. Other than when Cassandra was having a vision of someone dying/ almost dying these scenes just bored me. Right from the start I didn't like Aidan and when I found out that he was Apollo it all made sense. For whatever reason, no matter what incarnation it is, I have never cared for Apollo. Other than five minutes right at the end, this was no exception. It wasn't that he was a horrible character it was just something about him I didn't like.
Once Cassandra and her small group knew what was going and who was who the story really picked up. It kept my attention right until the end and I couldn't put the book down. I found the battles between Athena and Apollo and then the good versus the bad the most interesting but at the same time adding knew questions that will keep you reading the series.
Overall, I've read a lot of series/books based on Greek mythology and the author was able to write a book that was very different from any I've read before. Athena and Hermes were my favorite right from the start but by the end I was curious to know more about this incarnation of Cassandra. I am looking forward to reading the next book and seeing where the author goes with her story.

Rating: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment