Thursday, October 10, 2013

Book Review ~ The Friday Society

The Friday Society

by Adrienne Kress
published by Dial
genre: Steampunk, YA

Summary (Goodreads): An action-packed tale of gowns, guys, guns –and the heroines who use them all 
Set in turn of the century London, The Friday Society follows the stories of three very intelligent and talented young women, all of whom are assistants to powerful men: Cora, lab assistant; Michiko, Japanese fight assistant; and Nellie, magician's assistant. The three young women's lives become inexorably intertwined after a chance meeting at a ball that ends with the discovery of a murdered mystery man.

It's up to these three, in their own charming but bold way, to solve the murder–and the crimes they believe may be connected to it–without calling too much attention to themselves.

Set in the past but with a modern irreverent flare, this Steampunk whodunit introduces three unforgettable and very ladylike–well, relatively ladylike–heroines poised for more dangerous adventures.

My Thoughts: My first thought when I finished this was "that was entertaining". It's always good when a book makes me feel this way.
There is a character for almost everyone. I found I liked the three girls together as a group rather than any individual one. They all had their strengths and their weaknesses but when they were a group is when they were their best.
This book was more character than story driven. The mystery/ mysteries were typical and you could see where things were going at times. I found myself caring more about what happened to the girls as a whole rather than the "who done it".
Overall, as stated, I found this to be an entertaining read. I would not hesitate to read another book by this author or about these three characters.

Rating: 4

1 comment:

  1. I had so much fun reading this book-I haven't seen anything about a sequel but I'm sure hoping for one!

    ReplyDelete