Monday, March 16, 2015

Book Review ~ Dorothy Must Die

Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)

by Danielle Paige
published by HarperCollins
Genre: YA, Re-Tellings, Fairy Tales, Fantasy

Summary (Goodreads): I didn't ask for any of this. I didn't ask to be some kind of hero.

But when your whole life gets swept up by a tornado - taking you with it - you have no choice but to go along, you know?

Sure, I've read the books. I've seen the movies. I know the song about the rainbow and the happy little bluebirds. But I never expected Oz to look like this. To be a place where Good Witches can't be trusted, Wicked Witches may just be the good guys, and winged monkeys can be executed for acts of rebellion. There's still a yellow brick road - but even that's crumbling.

What happened? Dorothy.

They say she found a way to come back to Oz. They say she seized power and the power went to her head. And now no one is safe.

My name is Amy Gumm - and I'm the other girl from Kansas.

I've been recruited by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked.

I've been trained to fight.

My Thoughts: To Read or Not To Read. I hate when there is controversy surrounding an author of a book I really want to read. I'm not even sure what all is going on with this one, there seems to be two separate issues. I decided to let the book speak for itself. Books can still be good even when the author is not.
There were problems with this book but I couldn't put it down. It starts off with a very contemporary feel. Amy is the shy, quiet, poor girl that has no friends and is constantly dealing with her tormentor. We also find out that she has a pretty horrible home life. This of course leads to a freak storm that carries Amy, her trailer, and her mom's pet rat off to Oz.
The author created an Oz that is familiar but at the same time drained and lifeless from what we remember. Amy makes the obvious choice to make her way to the Emerald City. Along the way she makes friends with a munchkin and a flying monkey. These are not the characters that we met in the original. Both have been enslaved by Glinda and Dorothy. In order to not be under their thumbs some monkeys have chosen to cut off their wings so they cannot work. We also meet Pete who is not what he seems but we do not find that out until the end.
After getting into trouble at the palace, Amy finds herself with no choice but to join up with a group of "wicked" witches. This group includes Glinda's twin sister and the Witch of the North alongs with some others. They train Amy in everything she will need to infiltrate the palace and kill Dorothy.
As expected things don't go as planned. There are many deaths along the way and in the end Amy finds that killing Dorothy and righting Oz will not be an easy feat. To get to Dorothy she will first have to get rid of The Scarecrow, Cowardly Lion and Tin man.
A lot happened in this book but at the same time it didn't feel like anything was accomplished. There are too many groups trying to reach the same goal and it is hard to figure out who truly are the "good" guys in this world.

Rating: 3.5

No comments:

Post a Comment