Thursday, January 20, 2011

Book Review ~ The Demon King

The Demon King (Seven Realms #1)
By Cinda Williams Chima
Published By Hyperion Book

Summary (Goodreads): This novel marks the first giant step in a momentous sci-fi journey orchestrated by Cinda Williams Chima, the author of the popular Warrior Heir series. Its two chief protagonists are ex-thief Han Alister, an impoverished commoner, and Raisa ana'Helena, the headstrong Princess Heir of the Fells. The Demon King brings them together, creating part of a volatile mix of action, magic, and danger. Empathetic characters; wizardly attacks.


Dislikes: There was not a lot about this book I disliked. It was a little slow getting into it but once the action started I was hooked. I will say I'm over the weak minded, fluff queens. I understand this was necessary for this story and without her Raisa would have been a completely different person. While I love great villains, Mac Gillen and his squadron of goons were just vile nasty characters.


Likes:  The characters were well done.  I enjoyed the interactions between Han, Dancer, and the rest of the clan members, especially Lucius and Willo. I thought Raisa was a good counterbalance to her mother and this made her a very likable character. The world the author built was also done well and provided something for everyone, from the Spirit lands where the clans live and the Vale where the village/towns and palace is located. 


Overall: I really loved this book and thought it was a great start to a new series. From the world to the characters it fits into the epic fantasy nicely for me. The twists and turns that happen as the story went along were well placed to keep the story interesting and keep you reading until the end.  The characters are now on a journey that is going to bring them all together and I'm looking forward to reading the second book to find out what happens.


Rating: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment