Thursday, May 31, 2012

Book Review ~ The Obsidian Blade

The Obsidian Blade (The Klaatu Diskos #1)
by Pete Hautman
published by Candlewick Press

Summary (Goodreads): The first time his father disappeared, Tucker Feye had just turned thirteen. The Reverend Feye simply climbed on the roof to fix a shingle, let out a scream, and vanished - only to walk up the driveway an hour later, looking older and worn, with a strange girl named Lahlia in tow. In the months that followed, Tucker watched his father grow distant and his once loving mother slide into madness. But then both of his parents disappear. Now in the care of his wild Uncle Kosh, Tucker begins to suspect that the disks of shimmering air he keeps seeing - one right on top of the roof - hold the answer to restoring his family. And when he dares to step into one, he's launched on a time-twisting journey
- from a small Midwestern town to a futuristic hospital run by digitally augmented healers, from the death of an ancient prophet to a forest at the end of time. Inevitably, Tucker's actions alter the past and future, changing his world forever.

My Thoughts: This was an odd, weird, at times confusing book. I enjoyed it for the most part. The author's writing style was easy to read and had a flow that kept you reading even if you were confused about what was going on.
It's difficult to talk about this book without giving anything away. What was interesting and will make me pick up the next book is trying to figure out how Tucker's small town of Hopewell becomes Awn's Terminus.
I found most of the character's interesting. Tucker's want to have his family back seems to be the driving force behind this story. His father's role in how things become threw me a little. I'm not sure I really like him or can understand why he went from one extreme to the other. I like both Kosh and Lahlia and want to know more about their stories. Other than Tucker the main player in these sequence of events are the Diskos. Created by a race that got some perverse joy out of watching some of the most tragic events (and their aftermaths) in human history.
Overall, it ended kind of abruptly but enough had happened and been put into motion that as I stated, I will definitely be picking up the next book.

Rating: 3.5

1 comment:

  1. This book was so weird to me. I spent much of the book confused and lacking an emotional connection to any of the characters, which ultimately made me dislike this book.

    ReplyDelete