Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Book Review ~ Soulless

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate #1)
by Gail Carriger
published by Orbit

Summary (Goodreads): Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations. First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette.
Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire -- and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate.

With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart?

SOULLESS is a comedy of manners set in Victorian London: full of werewolves, vampires, dirigibles, and tea-drinking.

My Thoughts: It took me awhile to get into this story. I kept putting it down wondering why everyone makes such a big deal about this series. That fact was the only reason that I picked it back up again. I didn't really care for Alexia at first, she just wasn't grabbing me. Once more characters were part of the story line it picked up. I liked both Lord Maccon and his Beta. They both added to story with his rude Scottish mannerisms and Prof. Lyall trying to keep him in line with their standards.
As I've stated before, I Love quirky side characters. I could have a whole book with just Lord Akeldama (he moved right into favorite vampires list) and Alexia's friend Ivy. Both these characters were so over the top that I couldn't help but love them. Other than her odd hats I know Ivy displayed common attitudes for the time period but it seemed so exaggerated.
Plot wise, Alexia not having a soul was different but I still don't really understand how or why it works the way it does on the supernaturals. The disappearances, scientists, experiments etc became muddled and some things were never explained to my liking but I was still satisfied with the conclusion of that part of the story. I did feel the ending dragged a bit.
Even with all that and the slow start I still ended up really liking this book and will be moving on to the second in the series.

Rating: 4

1 comment:

  1. I think I liked this book from the start but I am a sucker for this time period, even if the books I usually read that are set there don't involve vampires or werewolves. I can't wait to read the rest of the series, which hopefully are even more engaging for you.

    -Bookworm1858

    ReplyDelete