Friday, May 11, 2012

Book Review ~ The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races
by Maggie Stiefvater
published by Scholastic Inc

Summary (Goodreads): It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line. Some riders live. Others die.

At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them.

Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn’t given her much of a chance. So she enters the competition — the first girl ever to do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen.

My Thoughts: This is my time reading a book by this author and I enjoyed it more than I was expecting. When I first heard flesh eating horses I thought eww. The author was able to give her story without turning me off. Even the parts where there were hungry uisce taking bites were done in a way that made sense to the story.
Both Puck and Sean were strong main characters. Puck was strong when she needed to be even when she was scared of everything that was going on around her. While I liked the relationship that slowly developed between Puck and Sean, the relationships they each had with their horses (Dove and Corr) I found to be more interesting. While I wanted happiness for the people I was more worried about one of the horses not making it to the end of the book.
The only thing that brought this story down were some of the other characters/storylines. While I liked Mr Holly and the conversations he had with Sean, his sudden relationship with the blind sister just came out of nowhere and didn't add anything for me. I also didn't like how weak Puck's brothers were. While this forced her to be strong it just didn't work for me. I liked Finn and kept waiting for him to do something that would completely win me over.
Overall I was pleased with my first reading of this author and will probably make time to finally read her trilogy that has been sitting on my shelves for awhile.

Rating: 4



No comments:

Post a Comment