Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Book Review ~ Kushiel's Dart

Kushiel's Dart (Kushiel: Phedre's Trilogy #1)
by Jacqueline Carey
published by Tor Fantasy
genre: Adult Fantasy

Summary (full summary @Goodreads) The land of Terre d'Ange is a place of unsurpassing beauty and grace. It is said that angels found the land and saw it was good...and the ensuing race that rose from the seed of angels and men live by one simple rule: Love as thou wilt.

Phèdre nó Delaunay is a young woman who was born with a scarlet mote in her left eye. Sold into indentured servitude as a child, her bond is purchased by Anafiel Delaunay, a nobleman with very a special mission...and the first one to recognize who and what she is: one pricked by Kushiel's Dart, chosen to forever experience pain and pleasure as one...

My Thoughts: I'll start by saying this was my second time trying to read this book. The first I did not get past the second chapter. While taking part in different memes and Goodreads groups I kept seeing this series mentioned and decided to give it another try. When I made it to the end I was glad I had given it another try.
Phedre was everything I would expect from a heroine in an epic such as this. While she may not be the kick butt type typically associated with this role she has other skills that get her out of (and into) many tight spaces. I loved her rebellious defiant nature amongst all of her other well trained peers. While she was just as good at what they were taught it wasn't enough for her.
Her friendship with Hyacinthe added another layer to her character and also added another bright spot to the story. While he was not my favorite, the friendship and roles they played in each others lives were well written.
My favorite is Joscelin. From the moment he appeared on the page, he stole the book. I just wanted more. The adventures that Phedre and he endure helped to build their relationship to that believable point.
Not wanting to give too much away to anyone who hasn't read this and wants to I'll just say this lived up to the praise so many have given it. I already have Kushiel's Chosen and am looking forward to diving back into this world that Ms Carey created.

Rating: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment