Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Book Review ~ The Guardian

The Guardian (Dream Hunter #5, Hell Chaser #4, Were Hunter #9)
by Sherrilyn Kenyon
published by St. Martin's
genre: Adult, Urban Fantasy, PNR

Summary (full @Goodreads): Dream-Hunter Lydia has been charged with the most sacred and dangerous of missions: To descend into the Nether Realm and find the missing god of dreams before he betrays the secrets that could kill her and her kind. What she never expects is to be taken prisoner by the Realm’s most vicious guardian…

My Thoughts: I'll start with Lydia. I didn't hate her but I felt nothing towards her. Through the whole book I never felt any connection to her character. I realized how bad it was when I set up this review. It took me hours to figure out why this was a Were Hunter book. If you've read the book, you know this is bad since Lydia is a Jackal Shifter.
I wanted to know more about her and her background. We got the basics about her parents, her father's a Dream Hunter and mother was a Shifter. I wish we had gotten to know more about her mother's death, her dreams/premonitions, and other abilities.
On to Seth. Seth moved up on my list of favorites from this series. He had such a heartbreaking back story that you wanted him to win. You wanted him to come out on top of this relationship he has with Noir. You wanted to give him a hug and make it all better (this may have just been me). Even though he's not a Dark Hunter he still fit into that role of tortured hero well.
After Nick, my favorite characters from this series are Jaden and Savitar. While there was no Sav, we did get some more of Jaden. None of his back story was really told but I still felt like I came away with a little more of him. I wanted more.
When I was finished with this book, I felt like I missed some things. I still don't understand what Seth did to save Lydia. I get that it had something to do with his Swallow but I never really understood. It also seemed like the fact that someone betrayed Solin and Co.,  to the Greeks, was swept under the rug. It was mentioned when they were trapped but that was it.
Overall, I was happy with Seth and Lydia (even though I don't really know her). It left me wanting to know more about other characters, which is always good in a series. I've already read Retribution now on to Time Untime.

Rating: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment