Monday, July 7, 2014

Mini Reviews ~ Winter Moon

Winter Moon

by Mercedes Lackey, Tanith Lee, C.E. Murphy
published by Luna
genre: Adult, Anthology, Fantasy, 

Summary (Goodreads): 
Mercedes Lackey:
In an isolated land where the lure of the "Moontide" leads to shipwrecks, a woman is torn between obeying her father or her king. When she chooses to follow a Fool, she discovers magic she'd never expected . . . at a price that might be too high . . .

Tanith Lee:
Struggling under the curse of a dead comrade, Clirando, a warrior priestess unready to face the powers trapped within her, must face "The Heart of the Moon" to reveal what has been hidden . . .

C.E. Murphy:
In "Banshee Cries," ritual murders under a full moon lead Jo Walker to confront a Harbinger of Death. Maybe this "gift" she has is one she shouldn't ignore -- because the next life she has to save might be her own

My Thoughts: Moontide (M. Lackey) I've read a couple of Lackey's Five Hundred Kingdoms and though this takes place in the same world it does not have any of the fairy tale elements. The characters were all solid even with the shorter length. While I liked the story I was just as intrigued with the Grey Ladies and the magics created in this story.
The Heart of the Moon (T. Lee) First time reading this author and must say I cannot wait to read more. Clirando was a great female lead and proved she was kick ass right from the start.
Banshee Cries (C.E. Murphy) I love this series but somehow missed this short during the reading. I just finished Raven Calls which revolves around Joanne and her mother. There were references to this short so I had to find it to read.
After being so far into the series it was weird to go back to the beginning where Joanne is not a kick ass shaman and still struggling to believe in the magic that is a part of her.

Overall, I enjoyed all three of these stories. The only author I wasn't as familiar with was Tanith Lee and really enjoyed her writing. I'm looking forward to reading more from all of these authors.

Rating: 4

2 comments:

  1. I've only read one book by Lackey, and I wasn't a big fan. I do like anthologies though... I'm so torn. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hit and miss with Lackey, think I've only read a couple of the kingdoms series. I also like anthologies, great way to test an authors writing style

      Delete