Friday, May 13, 2016

Armchair BEA 2016 ~ Beyond the Books & Beyond the Blog

Armchair BEA website 
Here on Day 3, we are moving our focus beyond the traditional format of the media we consume and create!
Beyond the traditional form of the novel, what are your favorite alternative forms (graphic novels, audiobooks, webcomics, etc)? Do you have any favorite works within these alternate forms? How do you think the changing format affects the reading experience?

**I've tried a couple of audiobooks but haven't really been able to focus when they are playing. If I don't have something in my hands I feel like I should be doing something and forget that I'm supposed to be listening. I should probably try one when I'm walking or something.
**Of the things listed the one I read the most are graphic novels. I'm even more picky with these than regular books. If I don't like the graphics it does not matter how good the story is, I cannot get into it. For me it started with some of my favorite UF book series, Jim Butcher's Dresden series (Goodreads) and Patricia Briggs's Mercy Thompson series (Goodreads).

This branched out into other types of graphic novels. The first and still one of my favorites is the  Fables series (Goodreads) by Bill Willingham. The last volume came out in 2015.

Another set I read for the first time this year is the Runaways by Brian K Vaughn (Goodreads). I'll admit to not liking his Saga series as much as everyone else did but I did like Runaways. The graphics and story just worked better for me in this one than in Saga.

No comments:

Post a Comment