Monday, March 19, 2012

Book Review ~ Deadly Cool

Deadly Cool (Deadly Cool #1)
by Gemma Halliday
published by Harperteen

Summary: Hartley Grace Featherstone is having a very bad day. First she finds out that her boyfriend is cheating on her with the president of the Herbert Hoover High School Chastity Club. Then he’s pegged as the #1 suspect in a murder. And if that weren't enough, now he’s depending on Hartley to clear his name.

But as much as Hartley wouldn’t mind seeing him squirm, she knows he’s innocent, and she’s the only one who can help him. Along with her best friend, Sam, and the school’s resident Bad Boy, Chase, Hartley starts investigating on her own. But as the dead bodies begin to pile up, the mystery deepens, the suspects multiply, and Hartley begins to fear that she may be the killer’s next victim.

My Thoughts: I wanted to like this more than I did. Every other review of it seemed to be glowing and it just fell slightly short for me.
I enjoyed the quirky, snarkiness of both Hartley and Sam. The majority of the characters were believable and you had no problem following them and believing them in their everyday life. Where this story fell short for me was Hartley's over the top belief that Josh could never do what he was being blamed for. She lost something of herself every time there was a scene with him in it. The story starts out with her trying to disprove a rumor that he is cheating on her (he is of course). She did not have the slightest clue that something was going on behind her back and even when she broke up with him she made excuses for him concerning the cheating. When she finds out that she really didn't know him as well as she thought, her faith in him doesn't seem to waiver.
Overall I enjoyed the main storyline of Hartley, Sam and Chase trying to find out who the real killer was. It made up for the parts that I didn't like and kept me reading to the end. Not sure how I feel about the ending I would have an easier time believing it was the cop than who it ended up being.
This is a book that even though I didn't enjoy it as much as others did, I would still recommend giving it  a try.

Rating: 3

1 comment:

  1. I personally enjoyed this book, but you make some very good points that I really didn't think about while reading.
    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete