Saturday, December 18, 2010

Book Review - Hush Hush

Hush Hush (Hush Hush #1)
By Becca Fitzpatrick
Published By Simon & Schuster

Summary:For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her...until Patch comes along. 
With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment, but after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is far more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel. 
For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.

Dislikes: There was something that felt off about this book, for me, but I can't quite place it.  There were times during the book when I found myself rereading sections thinking I had missed something. The story seemed to jump ahead with no explanation. The relationship between Nora and Vee also seemed off to me considering they were supposed to be best friends. 

Likes: Even with some of the unexplained (might just have been me) jumps forward, I still really liked the overall story.  I  like when authors don't just make the lead female instantly in love with guy. The progression of Nora and Patch's relationship was well done and believable in that aspect.  The side characters also helped to make the story.  They kept you guessing about who was truly a "bad guy" and what was Nora's imagining. 

Overall: The main storyline of this book worked for me and I look forward to reading book 2. There were some interesting twists in the story that kept me guessing and reading to find out what happened next.   I'm also interested in seeing how the relationship works moving forward and finding out more about Nora's family's past. 

Rating: 4

1 comment:

  1. I did like that Nora didn't instantly fall for Patch either, is more gradual than most YA relationships:) I read this one before I started the blog and I know I read far more critically now than I did then, so I really enjoyed this one overall. Crescendo, however, I had a few problems with though I think the story is still fabulous. I'm looking forward to book 3 to see how everything ends! Nice review:)

    ReplyDelete