Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Book Review

Delirious
By: Daniel Palmer
Published By: Kensington


Summary (from author's website ):Charlie Giles is at the top of his game. An electronics superstar, he’s sold his startup company to a giant Boston firm, where he’s now a senior director. With his dog, Monte, at his side, Charlie is treated like a VIP everywhere he goes.
Then one day, everything in Charlie’s neatly ordered world starts to go terrifyingly wrong. His prestigious job and his inventions are wrenched away from him. His family is targeted, and his former employers are dying gruesomely, picked off one by one. Every sign, every shred of evidence, points to Charlie as a cold-blooded killer. And soon Charlie is unable to tell whether he’s succumbed to the pressures of work and become the architect of his own destruction, or whether he’s the victim of a relentless, diabolical attack.
In a desperate struggle to save his life, Charlie races to uncover the truth, all the while realizing that nothing can be trusted—least of all his own fractured mind…

Dislikes:  The book started off strong with the building of Charlie (and Monte's) world. You really got a sense of the type of person Charlie was in and out of his job (not much out). The problem I had was when the book really started getting into the suspense of, is someone out to get him or is he out to get himself,  it seemed to switch gears and focus more on his family and their problems. While the information was interesting and eventually useful to the story, it lasted to long for me. I found myself asking "when are we going to get back to the book?"  Something else that I found myself asking about was, if they are living in this very modern, electronics driven world, why did no one check the security cameras? (this wasn't really a dislike, just a question)

Likes: The prologue does a great job of pulling you into the story and making you want to read more. Other than the part listed above it was very well paced and I ended up finishing it in one night. I enjoyed the suspense of trying to figure out who/what was behind everything that was happening to Charlie. I did figure out what was going (or at least thought I had a good idea) but could not figure out how it was all happening.

Overall: I really enjoyed this book. I never would have guessed this was a debut book for Mr Palmer. It was very well written and right up there with other books in this genre I have read.

Rating: 4


The author did provide me with two copies of this book so I will be doing a giveaway later in the week.
You can pre-order this book @ http://www.danielpalmerbooks.com/pre-order-delirious/

2 comments:

  1. I'm usually not a fan of prologues, but I love the fact that it pulls you into the story for this one. Thanks for pointing this book out to me, Kristina! It sounds great, and I'm adding it to my TBR pile :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristina, thanks for a great, insightful review. It's a huge plus to get such a warm reception on a debut novel. I'm glad you enjoyed Delirious!

    -Daniel

    http://www.danielpalmerbooks.com

    ReplyDelete