Saturday, December 11, 2010

Book Review

Inside Out
By: Maria V. Snyder
Published By: Harlequin Teen


Summary (GoodReads):Keep Your Head Down.
Don't Get Noticed.
Or Else.
I'm Trella. I'm a scrub. A nobody. One of thousands who work the lower levels, keeping Inside clean for the Uppers. I've got one friend, do my job and try to avoid the Pop Cops. So what if I occasionally use the pipes to sneak around the Upper levels? The only neck at risk is my own…until I accidentally start a rebellion and become the go-to girl to lead a revolution.

Dislikes: I had a difficult time visualizing and getting into the world of Inside. I just kept picturing a large office building, this could be what we are supposed to visualize but it just seemed off to me. Even after the last chapter I was still picturing this just in a larger scale. It didn't take away from the book just something I had trouble with. I also didn't like how everything was in weeks, even after breaking it down, whenever a date/time was mentioned (ex: birth week= 145,414) I would have to stop reading to figure out ages, dates, or how far away they were from something happening. It really disrupted the flow of the book for me.

Likes: I really enjoyed the characters and their world (as opposed to the physical world they lived in). Trella is a great lead female. She thinks she is on her own and just doing her own thing and then realizes she has been living/thinking exactly how she is expected to by the pop cops that are controlling the world of inside.  Seeing her grow and realize that she can make friends and trust some people whether they are scrubs like herself or from the upper levels. I also enjoyed how everyone seemed to come together for a common purpose and work towards that goal.

Overall: I found myself engrossed in this book even with the trouble I had envisioning it as a whole.  I liked  how Trella and Riley's relationship steadily grew instead of happening instantly when they first met.  I also enjoyed how the book left off, not with a cliffhanger but still left you wanting to read the next one to find out how changes on inside effect the inhabitants and what they are going to do about outside.

Rating: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment