Monday, July 30, 2012

Book Review ~ 13 Curses

13 Curses (Thirteen Treasures #2)
by Michelle Harrison
published by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
genre: MG/YA fantasy

Summary (full @Goodreads): The 13 Treasures have become the 13 Curses. When fairies stole her brother, Red vowed to get him back. Now trapped in the fairy realm, she begs to be seen before the fairy court where she strikes a bargain: Her brother in exchange for all thirteen charms from Tanya's bracelet....Can Red, Tanya, and Fabian find all thirteen charms? And if they do, will the fairies keep their promise?

My Thoughts: This story had everything I was waiting for in the first book. More about the fairies, more about the 13 treasures and more Red.
There were times when I thought Red was a little too full of herself but overall I was glad she was the main character in this book. Tanya, Fabian and even Warwick are also important in this.
I liked how the fairies were represented. With the Seelie being "good" and the Unseelie being the uncaring "bad" court. The casting out of the charms and having Red find them before she can get her brother out was an interesting task and I wasn't sure how they were going to go about it.
As I stated, I didn't like Red at times. Especially when she was dealing with Nell, I thought it was just too much. Fabian also had moments in this book that I just wanted to sit him down and tell him to stop acting like a brat. On the flip side, I enjoyed both Tanya and Warwick more in this story. Finding out more of Warwick's back story added to his character.
The biggest complaint was the epilogue. It wasn't needed and had me rolling my eyes while I read it. With everything that came out and was accomplished in this book I'm interested in seeing what the third book is about.

Rating: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment