Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Book Review ~ A Game of Thrones ~ part 1

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Fire and Ice #1)
by George R R Martin
published by Bantam
genre: Adult, Fantasy
cover: this is the cover on the copy I got from the library. I'll showcase the others on later parts.

Summary (Full summary available @Goodreads):In A Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin has created a genuine masterpiece, bringing together the best the genre has to offer. Mystery, intrigue, romance, and adventure fill the pages of the first volume in an epic series sure to delight fantansy fans everywhere.

In a land where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime, trouble is brewing. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes of the north of Winterfell, sinister and supernatural forces are massing beyond the kingdom's protective Wall...

**I've decided to do this review in two parts. I've finally reached the halfway point and thought I would share my thoughts so far.

I've found it is harder to avoid spoilers when a book becomes a hit tv show than when it's just an acclaimed book. I tried avoiding but still ended up knowing some things that have not happened yet (I'm a little over 400 pages in) that I wish I didn't know.
The way this book is set up I think I'll take about what characters I like, dislike, and am completely indifferent to.
Likes: Arya. She is my favorite character at this point. She is the kind of princess/lady (training to be) that I like in my fantasy books. She is more sure of herself than her sister and seems to have better sense as well. My favorite chapter was her and the cat and the adventure that led to. Even though it was a small adventure it was still entertaining.
Eddard (I know). His chapters seem to move the story forward the most for me. We also seem to get a lot of info on other charaters when it is his POV.
Indifferent: Jon. I know a lot of people say he is their favorite but at this point he hasn't done anything to warrant it from me. I like him but at the same time don't care. I will say I keep waiting for that something to happen because he always seems to be right on edge of something big. I also like meeting the other blacks from The Wall. The differences between the old and the new guard and the way they think things should be done.
Daenerys (Dany). Another that seems to be well liked. She, like Jon, has had moments that make me think more is coming. When she stood up to her brother my first thought was "Yes". It didn't last long. The other problem I have with her is she seems so separate from everyone else. There is no interaction with the other main characters.
Tyrion. He has some of the most entertaining lines but I'm not sure how I feel about his character. I like him most of the time but then he shows how much he is a Lannister and I have second thoughts.
Dislikes: Sansa. If this girl had a single original thought I think I would fall out of my chair. She is very much the typical senseless girl. I've not seen one thing that made think she can be redeemed. The whole scene with Joffrey, Arya, and the wolf and the follow up "trial" cemented my feelings and it will be hard for her to turn it around.
Richard and Cersei. I know we are supposed to hate the evil queen and all but I'm not find her husband much better. He is way to weak and I find myself wanting to slap him whenever he speaks. She lives up to her evil queen image. She is all about herself and getting as much power as she can no matter the consequences to others.
There are many other characters in this book already but these are the ones that jump out at me. It'll be interesting to see how much my feelings change through the rest of the book and then after watching the first season of the show.
Until next time... Happy Reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment